So, the major points from yesterday’s YG announcement regarding 2NE1 are:
1. 2NE1 will be releasing their first full length album on Sept. 9th. It will feature 6 new tracks and 4 rehash solo pieces.
2. 2NE1 has recorded 10 songs in English under the direction of Black Eyed Peas’ Will.I.Am and of course, Papa Teddy.
3. Will.I.Am will be helping 2NE1 make their U.S. debut, tentatively in 2011, but they will not stay long (so no Se7en repeat here).
4. 2NE1 will be debuting in Japan in early 2011 as well.
5. 2NE1 will have 3 title songs with full MVs from this album, and plan on promoting all three SIMULTANEOUSLY.
6. Lastly, I quote directly from the YGLadies translation, “Teddy is planning to leave the country to produce with other famous producers.” This means Teddy will likely be heading for bigger and better things in the states/Europe in the near future.
This news piece is a bombshell – no matter how many times YG has done it – for Taeyang, for Gummy, for Se7en – I will never get used to the company’s ways of dropping mindblowing announcements without any warning. And now I know better than to believe anything YG says – remember when he said Taeyang’s Solar album was supposed to be released in January? At least he got the J part right. It’s better off to just pray and expect stuff to drop from the sky -_-
So, most people are freaking out mostly about the promoting in the U.S. with Will.I.Am part, but honestly, it’s the least mindblowing part for me. YG has already made it clear that should promotions take place, it would not be for long, no doubt influenced from the previous hardships faced by Se7en, BoA, and the Wonder Girls and the seemingly unbreakable wall for Asian artists in the current American market.
What concerns/excites me the most is 1.) short term, the 3 song-promotions, and 2.) Teddy’s inevitable departure. Three songs will guarantee the crowd playing favorites and shunning at least one song, plus how are they going to promote this on shows, and without over exhausting the girls to boot? And as of right now Teddy is 2NE1’s main producer, and while it was predicable that YG would just be a phase in the probably long and successful career of this talented producer, 2NE1’s musical styles in the future will change. Kind of shocking to think that this might be the last of Teddy’s works with YG. Good luck to the girls!